School Direct and Initial Teacher Training
There are lots of ways to get into teaching but at Sheffield Teaching School Alliance we offer a School Direct route with Silverdale School as the lead school. We recruit with our partner schools who are all highly experienced in training teachers and have been involved with Sheffield Hallam University and University of Sheffield for many years.
School Direct began in 2012 and is now fully established in many schools throughout the country, Sheffield Teaching School Alliance is one of the largest providers of School Direct in the country and has an excellent reputation. Our employment rate for the trainees in our 2013/14 cohort was 98% (the other 2% of our cohort went abroad or took supply work) and our trainees achieved amazing results with 97% of trainees being graded as good or outstanding (69% achieved outstanding which is truly phenomenal).
All our School Direct programmes include a Post Graduate Certificate or Diploma in Education with Masters level credits and Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) so that you are ready to teach in England but also qualified to teach all over the world. The academic qualification is awarded by Sheffield Hallam University or University of Sheffield and you will graduate from those institutions alongside people trained through the University led routes. In fact, there is nothing on paper to distinguish your training from any other route when you apply for your first post except the fantastic experience you will have gained, the support you will have received and your outstanding performance.
Our School Direct programme is based in school for 140 days and in University for approximately 25 days. The school will provide every trainee with a mentor in school and in large secondary schools there will be a senior mentor who will provide a whole school training programme for a group of up to twenty trainees. You will also be trained by current teachers who are designing and delivering a course which reflects up to the minute teaching and learning.
So, are you ready to take on the most rewarding, challenging and amazing experience of your life? Are you committed, hard-working, resilient, highly qualified and able to communicate at all levels? If you are, then apply to Sheffield Teaching School Alliance and begin the journey towards a professional career in teaching. Click on the link Get into Teaching for more information about how to apply.
Need to gain school experience to support your application? Follow this link to find out about coming into Silverdale School or partner schools on our School Experience Programme - you can sign up immediately through our website.
Current trainees and mentors follow this link for your course materials, training calendar and contacting the Sheffield Teaching School alliance at Silverdale School.